The General Assembly remains on a break after a couple of busy weeks focused on redistricting. Members will return next week with committee meetings beginning on Tuesday.
State and Legislative Issues
The General Assembly will gain two new members when they return to Raleigh. Dr. Perrin Jones, an anesthesiologist from Greenville, has been appointed to fill the vacant seat in State House District 9 that was previously held by Dr. Greg Murphy who is now in Congress. Former House member Rob Bryan was selected by Mecklenburg County Republicans to replace Dan Bishop in State Senate District 39. Bishop won the special election to fill North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District earlier this month.
Governor Cooper has formally appointed Jones and is expected to do the same with Bryan next week.
- Governor formally appoints Jones to House 9 seat (The Daily Reflector)
- Mecklenburg Republicans tap ex-state Rep. Rob Bryan for Dan Bishop’s Senate seat (Charlotte Observer)
- Another company announces plans to bring 1,000 jobs to Charlotte. Hiring starts now. (Charlotte Observer)
- Democrats challenge North Carolina’s congressional maps in new gerrymandering lawsuit (Raleigh News & Observer)
- Ex-NC GOP Chair Robin Hayes to plead guilty to lying to FBI in bribery case (Raleigh News & Observer)
- UNC Board of Governors chairman stepping down (WRAL)