We assist clients in navigating federal, state and local rules regarding political activity to help clients ensure compliance with laws and regulations. Our team understands the importance of ethical compliance and is well prepared to counsel clients on a range of issues at federal, state and local levels. Our areas of focus include campaign finance rules, lobbying and ethics law, regulatory and legislative interpretation and guidance, and political action committee (PAC) consultation.
Our team includes experienced attorneys, including a former legislative counsel and former executive branch general counsel, with extensive knowledge of government interactions, the legislative and regulatory process, agency management, tax and economic policy, government ethics, and campaign finance.
Political Activity Law
We provide advice and counsel on campaign finance, including:
- Permissible corporate political activity, whether through campaign contributions or direct action
- Campaign contribution limits (monetary and in-kind)
- Use of corporate or individual resources for campaign fundraising
- Permissible political activity and regulation of tax-exempt entities
- Formation of federal and state PACs
- PAC solicitation, expenditure and reporting requirements
- Ethics rules education and compliance training
Our legal team advises clients on federal, state and local lobbying registration and reporting requirements and permissibility of use of corporate resources.
- Preparation and management of lobbyist and lobbyist principal registrations and reporting
- Advice on restrictions on individual, corporate and lobbyist gifts
- Counsel on permissable use of corporate facilities and resources for or by elected officials
- Guidance for government contractors
- Consultation with relevant governing bodies for compliance matters